Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Split by Swati Avasthi

Split Jace shows up on his older brother Christian's doorstep with $3.84 in his pocket, having driven all night across the country, hoping for a fresh start and to understand why and how Christian left and never came back.

You see, even though he's a prominent court judge, Jace & Christian's father has demons that he has taken out on his family for years. He is abusive and has hit them all. Christian left, changed his name, moved a few times, and has started a new life. The only contact with his family being discreet letters sent to their mom with money to escape. Money she gave Jace when their father kicked him out.

Will it be possible for Jace to make a clean break, and realize he can't save his mom if she doesn't want to leave, that he isn't responsible for her or her choice? Will the secret he is keeping split the relationship he and Christian are building?

Why I picked up the book: It will be the KW One School One Book selection for Fall 2012, and was highly recommended by adults and teens I've talked to. I want to use as our teen book club as well.

Why I finished it: I was hooked on the first page. Will Jace and Christian survive? Will their father find them? Will mom make it?

I'd give it to: anyone, teen or adult, who has ever been in a domestic abuse situation, knows someone who has been in that situation or works with teenagers. I would definitely warn younger readers that there are some violent situations described in the book.

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

View all my reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails