Monday, November 19, 2012

The Third Wheel (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #7) by Jeff Kinney

The Third Wheel (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #7) Greg is at it again. The new year starts with new student council elections. It seems those students who were elected in the fall haven't been attending meetings. While Greg thinks he'd make a great politician and has brilliant ideas, you must be in good academic standing, with no record of detentions, in order to run. Oops!

So Greg does the next best thing and encourages Rowley to run in his place. Rowley wins! Which wasn't hard when you are the only candidate on the ballot for Social Chairperson. Greg plans to "attend" meetings via walkie-talkie. First order of business post-election is the winning president's platform, stocking student restrooms with soft toilet paper. But in order to do that, they must raise money, which isn't an easy feat for students who'd rather eat candy bars than sell them. The guys on the council think a WWE meets X-games motocross is a perfect event. But the planning committee ends up full of girls who like the idea of a Valentine's Dance.

It is hard enough to find a lab partner in a class where there are more boys than girls. How in the world do you find a date to the dance? Lucky for Greg, four-times married Uncle Gary is living on the Heffley's couch. Maybe he'll have some sound relationship advice?!?

Why I picked up the book: I really like the series. I couldn't wait for the library to get copies, so my husband went out and bought it for me. Greg cracks me up and reminds me of my younger brother.

Why I finished it: The series is fast paced, funny, and makes you want to keep reading. I have a hard time not picturing the movie actors as the characters now. This one started out a bit slow but by the end, I wished there were another hundred pages.

I'd give it to: fans of the series (books or movies). Although they are easy reads, they are set in middle school. Great for reluctant readers. Fans will be eager to know that an 8th book is planned, hopefully in 2013.

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

View all my Goodreads reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails