Monday, November 15, 2010

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

SpeakSpeak (verb): to utter words or articulate sounds with the ordinary voice: talk. To express thoughts, opinions, or feelings orally.

We learn to speak as infants, to communicate our needs and feelings to our caretakers. It starts with simple words, then short phrases, and then we learn to speak in sentences, paragraphs, and monologues.

But what if there were no words to describe your feelings? No one willing or able to listen? What if you weren’t even ready to speak to yourself and admit your deepest secret, deepest hurt, deepest fear?

Melinda starts her freshman year of high school with no words, no friends, an outcast even in her own skin. But would she even be able or willing to explain what happened the night of the party? The truth behind why she really called the police? Will Melinda find her voice and be able to Speak?

Why I picked this book up: I read it in 2005 for a Young Adult Lit class. Our teen book club requested we read it so I picked it up again.

Why I finished it: Melinda has so much to say without ever speaking. I keep hoping someone will hear her.

I'd give it to: teens, parents, and adults who work with teens. Anyone who needs reminded that teens face a harsh world and need adults who are willing to listen and let them speak.

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

View all my Goodreads reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails