Monday, November 21, 2011

Book review: The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford


Name: Alex Trimble

Grade: 12

Author: Ron Hansen

This book goes beyond just telling the story of the western gangster Jesse James and his death at the hands of the infamous Bob Ford. It reveals aspects of James most people probably don't know, nor expect. It draws you in to getting to know both Jesse and Bob, and by the end of it, you are stuck trying to decide who was the good guy and who was the bad guy. This is another novel I read after seeing the film, and much as with Atonement, it's one of the most spot-on adaptations I've ever seen/read. This story is written in a way that makes it appealing both to fans of westerns and those who aren't (I'm of the latter group, and still love this novel). It's not about cowboys and robberies, persay. It's about an unstable man(James) who rose to fame for his violence and intelligence, and the young man(Ford) who goes from ardent admirer to murderer. As with the film, this book captures all the characters and their stories and emotions wonderfully, while simultaneously rooting you in the plot and surroundings of the story. I've seldom read a novel with so many lines I've wanted to write down, purely because they're so gorgeously written, I want to keep them around. I find The Assassination of Jesse James is a bit difficult to describe or summarize well, although it should be a fairly straight-forward story - but all the reasons to read it are locked in the writing itself, with the characters and situations and dialogue. I ask only that you take my word that it is a beautiful book, and one that pulls you from admiring of Jesse to repulsed by him, and tugs you back and forth from sympathetic for Bob and spiteful. Brilliantly written - and although fictional, more of it is actually rooted in truth than you would think. Hansen did his homework before he wrote, and all that's really made up is some of the conversations. It's beautiful.

Why I picked up the book: Loved the movie

Why I finished it: It was beautiful and compelling

I'd give this book to: Any fan of westerns, or any admirer of brilliant writing

Rating: *****

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails