Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay

Sarah's KeyVel' d'Hiv was a horrible stain on French history, so much so that in an effort to forget many Parisian citizens have no idea of what happened.

In July 1942, Sarah was ten years old when the French police arrested her family along with other Jews, the first step in the horrific journey to Auschwitz. Sarah had no idea what was happening and in an effort to keep her younger brother safe, locked him in the bedroom cupboard and promised to quickly return and rescue him.

Julia is an American journalist who has been living in Paris for 25 years. She is assigned to investigate and write a story on the 60th anniversary of the Vel' d'Hiv. What Julia discovers will change her life forever.

Why I picked up the book: I had heard several librarians in the building raving about it. When a guy in our high school book club recommended we read it, I jumped on the opportunity.

Why I finished the book: This was a different kind of Holocaust novel. I had no idea about the French involvement or the Vel' d'Hiv'. I needed to know what Julia would discover. The interesting thing about reading a novel about the Holocaust is we all know what ultimately happened, but you keep hoping for something different.

I'd give it to: readers who aren't afraid to connect with the characters and/or readers who don't mind dual narratives that jump between characters and time periods. I would probably recommend it for high school and up.

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

View all my Goodreads reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails