Wednesday, November 30, 2011

You by Charles Benoit

YouIt didn't have to be like this. Thinking back, you could have made different choices and avoided this.

You used to care about school and grades. You used to have real friends, not just the "hoodies", the group of guys you hang with, that wear the uniform of black shirt, pants, and of course the black hoodie. The group who no one expects anything from but trouble.

You could have ignored the new guy, who you never would have met it hadn't been for the suspension.

You could have had the girl, if you had only spoken up.

You can look back now and see it, and the way it should have been. But realize, it is all because of YOU.

Why I picked up the book: I was looking for something different, for myself and for our high school book club. This definitely fit the bill and it was a quick read.

Why I finished it: The 2nd person narration instantly draws you in as well as the fact that the initial section gives away part of the ending but has you guessing how it get there (LOTS OF BLOOD). I love guessing, especially when I don't see it coming.

I'd give it to: boys, teens who feel misunderstood, reluctant readers, someone looking for a short book that will draw them in, teachers and parents--anyone who works with or will be raising a teenager.

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

View all my Goodreads reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails