Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Summer Before (Baby-Sitters Club prequel) by Ann M. Martin

The Summer Before (Babysitters Club)Back in the late 1980s through the 90s, the Baby-Sitters Club was a hugely popular series about a group of friends from Stoneybrook, CT who babysit. It all started with four girls: Kristy Thomas, Mary Anne Spier, Claudia Kishi, and Stacy McGill. This book looks back at the summer between 6th & 7th grade, right before the Baby-Sitters Club was born. It's about being a girl, the bonds of friendship, and how life changes.

Why I picked the book up: As a preteen my friends and I LOVED the Baby-Sitters Club books. I still have a box of them hidden somewhere in my garage (which I may be pulling out to read again!).

Why I finished it: It was like having a reunion with old friends. Although it has been at least 15 years since I read the original series, it was easy to fall back into. I remembered the characters, the neighborhood, and the kids they babysat.

I'd give it to: girls (and 20-30 somethings) who have read the original series and want to take a trip down memory lane. I'd also give it to fans of the BSC graphic novels. Scholastic is re-releasing the first three books in the series, so I'm sure new fans will be born.

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

View all my Goodreads reviews >>

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails