Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Unwritten Rule by Elizabeth Scott

The Unwritten RuleThe teenage years can be brutal. Discovering who you are and building friendships that will hopefully be lifelong. Testing the waters of relationships and hopefully not drowning. It can be a difficult journey, especially when so much is unknown and unspoken.

Sarah has been best friends with Brianna since Kindergarten. The friendship has benefited both girls, but often seems lopsided, with one giving more support and encouragement than the other. Sarah has harbored a secret crush on Ryan since 8th grade but when Brianna began dating him 8 weeks ago, Sarah has tried to do the right thing, support her friend, and hide her feelings. Because every girl knows that the biggest taboo of friendship is liking your friend's boyfriend. He is off-limits. But can your head tell your heart to ignore its feeling, especially when you know you are a better match? What happens when you cross the line and break the unwritten rule? Can that friendship survive?

Why I picked up the book: The advanced reviews were good and the cover drew me in. I read Living Dead Girl and wanted to read another of Scott's books, especially one that was a little less intense. The author was kind enough to send me a copy of the book so I was able to pass the library copy onto the next waiting reader.

Why I finished it: I identified with Sarah because during high school I had a best friend like Brianna. I remember what it felt like to be part of a lopsided friendship and want more for yourself while trying not to hurt your friend. It is a fast read, with short chapters.

I'd give it to: teenage girls (and their moms). Being a teenager is tough and it can be hard to maintain friendships while also growing as a person. It's important to find the balance between caring for others and respecting yourself. I recommended the book to Shelby before I was even finished, because I knew she liked Perfect You. Her review is here: http://booksncpl.blogspot.com/2010/04/un...

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

View all my Goodreads reviews >>

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails